Sunday, February 24, 2008

Fun with Friends and Family

Multnomah Falls

I love that stuff just grows on trees here. We called this our Muppet Tree bc it has Kermit skin.

My feeble attempts at being a photographer.

I have to admit that I have had a lot of fun the last couple of weeks, despite the fact that I am now really unemployed and a little worried about life. We'll move past that and get on with the positive stuff. Joni came to visit me two weekends ago and we had a total blasty blast! The weather was ideal while she was here, so we spent a lot of time outside. I tried to give her the full Portland experience, without having actually experienced any of it yet either. I made sure I introduced her to Voodoo Donuts and Saint Cupcake, first of all. They are both deliciously unique little shops that have really disgusting sounding and creative donuts, and cute little cupcakes.
Anyway, so we got our fix of sweets while she was here for sure! Ok besides the food stuff, we went out to Multnomah Falls, the Chinese Gardens, and Powell's Bookstore. The falls were really beautiful and I haven't gotten the pictures from Joni yet that actually have us in them, so you just get scenery ones right now. The Chinese Gardens were super cool because it was Chinese New Year's so they had some extra displays and stuff out. Unfortunately nothing is really in bloom yet, but it was ok because the ambiance is just cool in and of itself. So, for those of you who don't know what Powell's Bookstore is, it's a huge, multi-level bookstore with every book imaginable in it and it's pretty cool. They sell new and used books and their prices are pretty good. I must say proudly though that Joni and I both left empty-handed...strangely. Anyway, so that was super fun while she was here and I was really sad to see her go. I haven't laughed that much the whole time I've been in Portland.
Then, Jason came down last weekend and so I hung out with him and Tali and Christoph, which is always loads of fun. It would have been awesome if Christoph knew how to use my camera when he was taking pictures of Jason and I and not just himself, but oh well. We went out to Pittock Mansion and walked around outside since it was so nice. They also all came to my roommates wedding reception with me, which I did the flowers for but forgot to take pictures. Oops. I don't know what's wrong with my brain.Tali being our tour guide at the mansion.

Tali and Christoph trying to outdo mine and Jason's awesome photo, which you will not see because Christoph thought he took it, but nay alas, it did not actually take.

I'm trying to escape through a whole in the balcony railing with the help of J and Tali.


So, after Jason left I decided that I should probably go up to Canada and visit my cousin Emily and her little kiddles. I drove up Sunday and came back Friday and it was so so so fun! It was nice to be with family again because I was feeling a little homesick, and we had an absolute blast while I was there. Her boys are so stinkin' cute and her oldest, Tommy, is two and all boy all the way. He's so entertaining and always climbing, running, growling, wrestling, pushing little girls in rivers, whatever it is that little boys do. He totally cracked me up! Ems and I had tons of fun and it was nice to hang out with her again, since I haven't seen her in like 5 years. Yipes. We were very productive while I was there and the weather was gorgeous so we spent the entire week outside, which I loved. We pruned her apple tree, went for walks, took the boys to some parks, rode on a ferry, threw rocks in the river, went swimming, practiced our new dance moves...you know, typical stuff. :) In all of our fun I totally forgot to take any pictures, so I'm completely retarded. We didn't even take any of the two of us! If only my camera wasn't broken, maybe I wouldn't neglect it so much. I'm seriously kicking myself for not taking any. Oh well, I guess that just means that I need to go and visit again. :) Anyway, so now I'm home and I can no longer live in denial. I must get back to "real" life and find a job so that I don't end up down at the shelter with the rest of Portland's inhabitants. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Boren Family said...

Aw so jealous! Looks like fun!

Megan said...

Ohhhh it looks so pretty up there! I am jealous. Looks like you had fun and I want you to come home already so I can play with you again and we can have a blasty blast too!!! I can't wait to see yours and Joni's pictures. I am sure they are ridiculous (you know, like how all those young kids are saying it these days!)

Unknown said...

Can I tell you how weird it is that last summer I lived in your home town and now you are living in mine(sorta). Anywya its so weird to see all those pictures and know I have many memories that go with those places. Too bad you are living there at the ugliest time of year. Wish you could see it in june/