Thursday, December 31, 2009

Running Running Running...through my mind


I want to be a runner so badly! I'm sooo not. I run for release and I always feel so good after a little run, but I am also such a wuss about it. A few months ago I convinced my cousin and a few of our friends to run the Canyonlands Half Marathon. Then I decided I didn't have time to train for it, so I bailed...they're still running. So, then I decided that I DO want to train for a Half, but just not run in one. Really, the only reason I ever wanted to do it was to tell myself that I can run 13 miles. Anyway, I've started my little training schedule this week and so far I'm only running 3 milers, which is a good little start. Here's the thing though...I get soo bored whether I'm outside or at the gym. I find myself estimating songs until I'm done, or counting laps, or minutes, or anything, really. What am I going to do when I get to the longer runs?? How do you keep your mind off of the actual running? I want to enjoy the run whilst I'm doing it, as much as I enjoy it after I'm done. Any suggestions, or am I a crazy person?!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Running is for crazy people. Or if you are being chased. Wish I could be more athletic! But walking challenges me. I am very excited you though! :)

Crooked Brooke said...

Books on Tape. Seriously. They help because you can't estimate how long they'll go and you don't know what's coming next.

melissa said...

Brooke, that's the best idea ever!! Why didn't I think of that?? You're a genius! I need to go get Harry Potter on cd immediately.

melissa said...

Also...Tif..you kill me. Thanks for making me laugh this morning. Not like my abs don't already hurt enough! haha!

Anonymous said...

I imagine that everyone in the gym is completely focused on me. I worry about the way I look and my form the entire run. It's completely self centered and conceited, but it keeps me occupied...

Also, I play a little game were I try and match my footsteps to the beats of the music; each foot lands when the base hits. It's retarded, Lol..

I like the book idea, but it would be too slow for me ;)

LindsayB said...

well, i'm so excited for you, but you know i think you should actually DO the half marathon! for me it's all about the music. book on tape sounds like slow mo to me. and i play full on mind games of all sorts for any run longer than 30 min.

NicoleFieldsPhotography said...

Run with a friend :) You will be so busy chatting the whole time the run goes by without you realizing it!

Anonymous said...

so when I was single and running on a indoor track (for some odd reason...) I would look at the letters on the wall and try and think of all the guy names that started with that letter. Then when I ran out of names, I'd move onto the next letter. Funny, eh? I am wierd.

Erin S said...

I hate running. I get so bored!! I find that singing the songs on my Ipod at the top of my lungs helps to pass the time....

Zach said...

Agree with what's been said: Audiobooks (or even podcasts - there are some great ones about running!), and running with a friend. Both make it much more tolerable, and then eventually you'll love it for its own sake.

Megan said...

I need to stop being a fat kid and start my running routine again. Seriously though, you would love listening to HP on your iPod. I do the same thing that you do when it comes to songs but if I put on HP7 or something I get really intom the book all over again.

Anonymous said...

You could be like me..I coint steps, stairs, blocks, trees whatever...drives me nuts...(short drive I know!!) But it's time to start counting. Good luck
TBAITWWW - WENDY

Jacklyn said...

I always wish that I was a runner but I'm like you, a little here and there. But I for sure think that if you train for it you have to actually do the race, come on it's all about the bragging rights and the free t-shirt! Good luck

Robyn & Aaron said...

Girl, I know you said you don't actually want to run in a half marathon, but I am going to do the half marathon in SLC on April 17th. You should do it too! It would be so fun, and so fun to see your face!!

Jared and Paige said...

Melissa, I miss you. I hated running when I started doing it, in high school . . . because of a boy on another school's cross country team. Ha! Now it's my escape. I deep think during that time. I pray. I make decisions and plans, and I dream. I think you're awesome! Good luck with your run!