Saturday, February 19, 2011

Once Upon a Time There was a Little Girl Who Ran 10 Miles...

So...I got a call from my sister in law, Laci, this week that went something like this:

L: Hey! Where are we running this weekend?
M: Uhhh....what?
L: Aren't you training?
M: Yeah...I have a 10 miler this weekend
L: Ok!!
M: Have you been running again?
L: Yeah! Well, I went 3 miles last week.
M: Ok....I guess you're ready to run 10 then...

So we set off this morning for a quick little 10 mile run. It was beautiful! Slightly overcast (it was supposed to rain, but didn't), a little breezy and cool...but quite lovely. Laci's knee kept bugging her, so she would walk a bit here and there. I gave her an out at about 6 miles, but she insisted she was good and wanted to keep going. Ok! So we did. We went just over 7 miles and decided to stop and say hi to our friend, Danny, whose work just happened to be on our little route. We stopped and chatted for a bit, giggled, stretched, and then set back off to finish the last few miles.

Yikes. We headed straight into the wind, uphill, and our bodies were not having it! So, we gave in and walked about a half mile until the road curved and the wind was at our backs-ish. We kept a steady jog the last couple of miles (thanking every gust of wind that pushed us along) and finally ended at the park by my house. As soon as we stopped, Laci was like, "my legs!! I can't walk! I'm shaking", to which I responded, "Well I can't piggy back you, so you have to walk!" She then admitted that perhaps running 10 miles, untrained, maybe wasn't her brightest idea... Really?? We got to the house, conquered the "hill" she called the driveway, grabbed a couple of refreshing Vita Coco's and went straight upstairs. After a little stretching, we promptly put on swimsuits to sit in the tub in my parents bathroom. What? Nobody was home and sometimes you have to improvise when you don't have a hot tub!! All in all it was a pretty fantastic and adventurous morning, and I have to say that I'm impressed she went the whole way...even if she is asleep on the couch now and may possibly be in a coma...

2 comments:

Megan said...

Hahaha. Awesome. I am totally jealous. I would have taken the out at the 6 mile mark!

Unknown said...

"One time...I ran a whole 10 miles. When I got back...I was tiiiiired."