All aboard my train of thought! My friend, Nick, posted a pic of a girl wearing an "I Run To Be" shirt on fb the other day, and then I got an email the next day from Nike about the Nike Women's Marathon in October, and I was like, "Oh yeah! I really wanted to do that when I saw it on my other friend's fb page last year!" So, I threw the link up on fb and lo and behold, said friend gave me a group code to register with. Ta da! Those are all pretty much signs that I need to do this race this year. So...I registered in the lottery today!! I know, I'm probably crazy, but this is a really cool event and I'm really excited to do it, and really hope I get picked, even though I'll probably die on the hills AND I'll have to start training in August in Vegas, which is pure and utter torture! But back to the hills...I mean...it's in San Francisco...have you seen how huge those suckers are?? Good thing they reward you with a Tiffany necklace at the end! I just wanted to do it so badly that I entered alone, so if anyone wants to train up, register in the lottery, and join me in running this in October, you totally should! (ahem...Lindsay)Anyway, my friend's picture of the girl in the t-shirt reminded me of why I run and I've been thinking a lot about it lately. After my last Half, I can't deny that I have the bug and I looove running. It's fun for me. I never thought when I started that I would enjoy it as much as I do now. I love the slogan for the Nike Women's Marathon, because it's "I Run To Be". My mom's friend, whom she goes to the gym with, asked her how long I've been running, how I got into it, and what my motive is, etc. So I've been thinking a lot about it lately and that's where the slogan comes in again. When you register for the race you have to fill in the blank - I Run to Be: ______. So here's how I would answer that
I RUN TO BE
free
empowered
strong
me
I RUN
to live
for a healthy heart
because the only person I run against is myself
to escape
to release
to strengthen my mind
because I can
in gratitude
I still don't consider myself a "runner," but I aspire to be. I'll just say that I'm addicted and I somehow came to love it again and I hope I can keep doing it and getting better. I've been asked if I'll ever do a Full and sometimes my head plays tricks with me and considers it, until I shake it back to reality. As Michael (and Brian Regan) said, "You can run a Half Marathon and still get a whole medal. I'd rather run Half Marathon...I'd rather run Half marathon." I couldn't agree more. :) So, back to my question what do you run for?
4 comments:
All your running posts make me jealous! Not that I was ever a big time runner, but I was starting to get in to it and actually like it, and I hurt my knee. Super bad runners knee. Despite physio I still can't run much. In fact if I walk too much it can start to hurt. So I have taken up biking instead. And short distance - not too much running involved - triathlons. Well, I have only done one, but it was super fun and I'm doing a few more this summer. You should try a triathlon!
So funny because the first two thoughts for me were "I run to be FREE" or "I run to be ME." We are bosom friends:)
We ARE bosom friends! I thought of those things first too, but I thought I would be the ultimate nerd if I put them right after each other bc they rhyme. haha! Nice.
Whit - how do you handle the swim in Tri's? That's the only part that I can't convince myself to do bc I hear it's so treacherous in those open water swims.
oh how i would love to do that tiffany's run! (that is what i have been calling it since i heard of it's existence) i can't quite answer that question right. but i run because i can. i changed my mind of course i know what my answer is i run to be strong. (it's supposed to be deep) you are awesome for all your training. it is snowing here today and i just couldn't do it. just couldn't get out in that weather AGAIN and run. now it's noon and i'm out of time and i wished i had. i bet your race right now is BEAUTIFUL! good luck/good job!
Post a Comment