Being a girl is hard! Maybe not all the time, because it's a lot of fun too, but the decion-making part of being an adult in general is hard! I'm turning 30 this year, which isn't really a huge deal. People do it all the time. I'm just having a bit of an early-mid-life crisis. I sincerely don't know what to do with my life. I truthfully never thought I would be 30 and still single. Thus, I thought my life would have been figured out by now.
I know I'm probably stereotyping, but I feel like 30 isn't really a big deal for those of you who are married and have families. It seems like you already know where your life is going and that you have a sense of purpose. You may certainly correct me if I'm wrong!
Anyway, so this year has already got me thinking about my future. If I'm going to be 30 and single, then I should probably think about getting an actual career to support myself and possibly doing something I love. I've been interested in Interior Design since High School and have just never taken the plunge and risked not being good at it to see if I actually am. So, I'm asking all of you non-commenters out there who read the blog (because I know you do!) to comment this time. I am sincerely seeking advice from all of you out there. I'm torn between a few things:
Plan A
Move to NYC when Michael moves out there this Fall, work for a year, then start going to FIT doing their Interior Design program. I'd work for a year to get instate tuition, because the difference is huge!
Plan Aa
Move to NYC just for a new adventure, new scenery, because I have no ties and it would be a fun experience...and because I can.
Plan B
Stay in Las Vegas, go to UNLV doing their Interior Design program (which could take up to 4 years), then intern out in NYC, graduate, and then move out to NYC to work.
Plan Bb
Accept my life as it is here (because it's really not terrible and I am very content/comfortable), continue doing AR and my floral design side business, move into my own place, and make the best out of the social scene here.
Sidenote: I could also throw in finishing my degree in Psychology and becoming a Child Life Specialist, working with terminally ill children in a children's hospital. But secretly always be wondering about Interior Design.
Ok, so that's the sitch. Please help me figure out my life!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Hi Melissa! First off, welcome to the 30 and single club... it's actually pretty fun! Though I had similar thoughts when I turned 30 last year... but I think that's normal. :)
Secondly, life is about adventures, so make one. NYC is a pretty expensive place just to go for kicks though, so you have to be pretty dead-set, serious about it. If you are, then just do it. Might as well have some fun and live it up while you can!
I don't know what advice to give. I've been thinking a lot about this quote from a film I watched at Sundance last week. In the movie, this recently retired professor doesn't know what to do with his life because all he knows is teaching at a college. He was a great professor and loved teaching and he tries to get rehired but they've already replaced him. He later describes the campus as a prison, to which his friend asks, "Do you really think of this place as a prison?" He replies, "Any place you don't leave is a prison." I think this is partially true but not all the way true. I know you've left Vegas several times. And I know you love Vegas, just like the professor loved the college. But I think that sometimes you feel imprisoned by everything in Vegas that is keeping you there. I guess I just worry that if you don't move you'll always wonder about what might have been.
But the dating scene in New York isn't too great--just a warning. But I think it's more to do with our generation of guys and less to do with the city. I think it's all over the country.
But I know you're not doing this for dating; you're doing it to follow your dream and figure out what you want to do for your career.
Ok girlfriend so much to say!
First- I've read that what (we) are going through is called a 'thrisis'...clever and creative...just like us. So with that out of the way...
I studied Interior Design, worked as a luxury kitchen designer and freelance commercial/residential designer and taught Interior Design at a College...and loved every single second of it. So from my experience I say GO TO FIT AND STUDY INTERIOR DESIGN (caps for effect). But seriously, it is in our blood and you already have a keen eye for taste and style. Plus graduating from a NYC school will give you more opportunity for intern/job placements. Not to mention the city is notorious for single sexy men! HELLOOOOOO!!!!
Second- choose Aa or whatever one that was about adventure. You are single and do not have any children (and your mortgage free)...you are free as a bird!!!!! People who are married with kids dream of this kind of freedom for adventure. If not for you, please vicariously for me.
Wow, that was easy deciding your life. Please figure out mine now. Thanks xxoo
It is pretty
ps I just re-read my comment (habit) and it says "it is pretty" at the bottom. Um, I didn't type that so... I'm hoping that is a blogger thing gone awry?
i don't think i'm anything close to an expert on advice for the future, but my initial thought after reading that is go for it!!! no regrets! NYC, here you come! i think especially after readying your finishing degree bit. if you know you're going to be thinking about interior design the rest of your life and nyc is the easiest cheapest way to do it, and you have a brother there, and you're ready for a change, than i say....go for it :) and then come design my house!
Argh, so hard to make decisions. Truly, I don't know, but go read Barbara Thompson talk, "personal revelation and tstimony"--it may help you.
I choose A. Live it up. Seriously. Because your life is no longer your own once you get married. I wouldn't trade it for the world but I think you should do 'you' while you can. Make sense? =) Love!
I just stumbled upon your blog today and I don't know the whole story but one thing is for certain you shouldn't wait for your life to happen. Go live your dreams, take the leap and move to New York before you lose that motivation to do it.
Andrea - touche! I'm actually excited about the single thirties, but it's just made me think that I'm not exactly where I thought I'd be or where I maybe should be. So, since I'm going to be single I might as well live it up and start thinking about a career I love that is going to support me. And don't worry...I still have a few more months before I actually enter the big 3-0. AND...I know it's a little pricey in NYC, but I'll actually be closer to DC too. Perhaps we'll have to take a little trip or two?!
Michael - I like what you're saying, but I really don't feel trapped in Vegas. I can leave anytime and I like what keeps me here - friends, family, a good job. I think you're more on the spot about following a dream and not having regrets, and I'm pretty sure that's where you were going with that. Thanks, brother!
Shells - I LOVE the "thrisis" term! I've already used it twice now. Thank you :) And thanks for the input. You clearly understand bc we have a little bit of the same blood coursing through our veins. You've figured my life out, now I'll figure yours. Get your papers done and come live with me in NYC. Done. See, wasn't that easy? ;) Also...I saw that "it is pretty" comment and laughed. So random! Suuuuure it was the computer. ;) jk
Lynz - 100% I think you have room to give advice. I mean, you picked up your little fam and headed to a foreign island for heaven's sake! I'm not sure NYC is exactly the "cheapest" way, but definitely the most beneficial. Thanks for the input, and fo shozey I'll come do your house when I'm done!
Brittany - funny you should mention that talk. I was sitting in the Conf center when she gave that talk and it popped into my head "I'm going to New York" while she was giving it. Hmmmm...perhaps an answer? I did read it again though after you suggested it and I'm glad you suggested that. Great talk, great insight, and I'm pretty sure I've made my decision. Thanks love!
Katie - I totes get what you're saying. From what I hear, marriage is a lovely adventure itself, but if I'm going to be single, I might as well do the things I'd be less likely to do with a husband and kids in tow. Thanks darlin!
"Loud One" - thanks for commenting! I appreciate any input, especially from someone who may not even know me. It's nice to have that unrelated third-party perspective.
Post a Comment