Friday, March 6, 2009

Yup...I'm "That" Girl

I was getting ready to head out to St. George for the weekend and had just finished packing up my car. I had half a tank of gas, so I decided to stop at the Speedee Mart down the street to top off before I left. So, I got out, started the pump, and headed inside to get water and snacks. After selecting my favorite water I was parusing the aisles deciding what I wanted. The guy behind the counter asked if I needed help (clearly I didn't), but he headed over to chat it up anyway. After chatting and paying for my purchases, I headed outside, got in my car, and fired it up. I love road trips! As I was pulling away from the pump I heard a "POP!" So I looked in my rearview mirror and saw...the gas hose, detached, lying in the middle of the pump area. Ah, crap. That was me, wasn't it? I'm that girl.

I got out of the car, assessed the damage to my car (which was none), and put my gas cap back on. I hesitated for a split second on what I was supposed to do next, then parked my car and headed into the store. I walked up to the guy who had been chatting with me earlier and said, "I'm that girl." He looked back, puzzled for a moment, so I repeated myself, "I'm that girl. I forgot I was still pumping gas." So we walked outside and I led him to the sad, detached hose, lying rejected on the pavement. As I stood apologizing, he jokingly asked for my insurance card, which I would have given him! Apparently they make those hoses detachable - clearly for women! So he tried to reconnect the hose and we made jokes. It kept leaking gas onto his little towel, so I told him he probably shouldn't light a match anytime soon. Then he wiped his hands off on his gas towel, stretched forth his hand to me, shook my hand with his gas hand, asked me my name, I told him, and he said "I thought I'd at least get your name out of this." To which I replied, "Sorry about your hose." Ohhh....awkward.

12 comments:

whitney said...

That story just made my day! Hilarious!

Unknown said...

HAHAHHAHAHAAHAHA I cannot stop laughing!! Why do you always have the best stories? I have nothing funny!!!

lynz said...

oh my....i love when blogs make me laugh out loud, and this one totally did! that is so stinkin hilarious :) good work "that girl!" and i love that the guy took that opportunity to flirt it up with you too!

Boren Family said...

Okay, that was awesome!! I seriously love you! Yah, I totally laughed out loud :) We need to hang out!

Anonymous said...

love it! what a fun story!

Robyn & Aaron said...

This is why we are friends...are you sure you aren't really a blonde?

Lizi said...

Hahaha thank you for posting this!! Who knew the heads popped off like that...good to know, good to know. The best part of it all is what you said to the gas guy as you were leaving...sorry about your hose, hahahah!! I miss you!

Erin S said...

Are you serious?!?!? Oh my gosh, how funny! You need to come back to Orgeon where they pump the gas for you!!!

Blissful & Domestic said...

how hillarious!!!

LindsayB said...

no way! did you really say that?! i'm am laughing so hard right now. outloud, by myself. i wish i was with you so we could pee our pants laughing together.
last week when i filled up i drove for like 2 blocks and thought, hmmm, did i put the cap back on? so i pulled over and nope i didn't. that's why they have a little connecter cord for the cap, cause i'm that girl. not as bad as being your 'that girl'

and yes i am still laughing.

Jacklyn said...

Here's to all of "Those girls" I'm one and proud of it!!

Jared and Paige said...

So funny! You are that girl, that beautiful girl who can get away with taking off with the pump still attached and get away with it because the clerk is so smitten with you. ;) Lucky you.